Looking for a Great Gift?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thoughts From Citi Field Last Night

The Mets drew a crowd of 30,086 last night, which I would think is more than the Mets expected for a Tuesday night. I'm very happy that people are responding to the Mets playing outstanding at home (23-9), but I do have a few qualms with the crowd.
  1. One of my pet-peeves is that the crowd was more interested IN THE WAVE in the top of the 8th and 9th inning of a 1-1 game. That is completely unacceptable and inexcusable. I have no patience for the wave, but have a little more tolerance in a blow-out game/in between innings. But why during the most pivotal moments of the game? The crowd was cheering more for the wave than Pelfrey getting out of the D-Wright created jam. This was also just posted to the Mets Police by someone else at the game. It was also evident on tv apparently, as one reader texted me during it asking what the heck was going on.
  2. What has happened to standing and clapping with two strikes on the hitter? The crowd sat on their hands the whole game (besides the two home runs). It was almost to the point that people were more concerned with following Strasburg on the scoreboard than watching the game they paid to go see.
  3. I did thoroughly enjoy the "live interview" played over the PA system at Citi after Ike's home run and the pie in the face. I know some people think "that's a Yankee thing", but I disagree. People have been doing it for years, but the Yankees just made it popular again last year because they did it so often. And I'm even happier that Ike didn't pull a "K Morales" and break his leg after the walk-off.

It was great for Ike to say the reason they play so well at Citi Field was because of the great fans; but this is the third game I've been to this year (I'm 3-0) and this was by far the worst level of crowd noise. Hopefully this was just a fluke and the crowd will respond and be into the game in a big way tonight with the match-up of aces.

I will post pictures from yesterday's game later tonight or tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about the wave. First, it's stupid and people get too excited about it. Second, while they are jumping up and doing that, they're missing a great game.

    I was at the game on Sunday when the Mets came back from a 5-0 deficit. The crowd on Sunday got excited at times, but overall, I didn't feel the 'buzz' in the stadium that I've become accustomed to.

    Hopefully as the season moves on, people remember how to act at a game and start to make some noise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wave late in the game was well done by the fans--went around 5 times or so. But I was telling my dad and brother "don't they realize this is a pretty big out right now". So I agree totally with the wave comments. The fans were into the homeruns, but overall, I agree with the lack of buzz setiments posted previously. I guess if the Mets want the stadium to rock and roll, they will have to win a division title and host the NCLS or something. Maybe that is just a by-product of people not complete believing yet. If the Mets are 23-9 at home and the crowd can be frenzied every night, that will just add to the home field advantage.

    And nice to see the umps get all the controversial calls right--Reyes hit a home and Pagan was fan interference. Davis--no review needed. the FAA tracked that one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and one of the biggest attention getters from fans and the Met dugout was the clown who got arrested in the 1st row behind the dugout. It took 6 security guys and 2 police officers to get him out. What a fool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great views from Sec 143 (aka--Bridgeview Terrace)....great game and the crowd wasn't into the game. I would agree with that, but the REYES HR was something that was NEEDED to win this game. The team finds a way to win at HOME, NOT due to the crowd by any means

    ReplyDelete