- Bulldog and aggressive mentality, won't quit on anything
- Can throw mid-90s, with a knee-buckling mid 70s curve, with an improved change-up but needs to continued refinement
- Has command issues, although it's improved, he still elevates his fastball
- Diminutive (5'11"), most teams were going to draft him as a SS/CF (he's athletic enough to do it), but was signed away from UCLA when the Angels signed him in the 2nd round in 2008.
- Despite being only 21 years old, some folks in the Angels organization compare him to Roy Oswalt (Oswalt was still in A ball at that age).
Some people project him to be a front-line starter if he can harness his stuff/improve his command, but others think his mainly 2-pitch arsenal profiles better as a bullpen arm.