- Mets have hired J.P. Ricciardi as a special assistant to Sandy Alderson. Ricciardi had a standing offer to join the staff of Theo Epstein and the Red Sox, but he chose to be reunited with Alderson instead.
- My Take: I was thrilled with this hiring, but then it's been brought to my attention all the bad contracts he gave out while the GM of Toronto. I still think it's a positive move, and he may be groomed by Alderson as his successor.
- The Mets managerial search has begun, with at least 6 names being addressed
- My Take: I still want Wally Backman to be the next manager, but it seems like he is a long-shot, although he is on the short list. Many beat writers think Terry Collins will be the next manager, and that elicits a yawn from me. I'd rather keep him in his current role of minor league development.
- Charlie Manuels, long-time Mets Clubhouse Manager, has been suspended without pay, and has been connected to a gambling ring, which is under investigation. He has supposedly admitted to betting mainly on football, but also on baseball.
- My Take: Hopefully this is the whole story, and not just the tip of the iceberg. Jeff Francoeur gave Manuels on $50,000 tip on his way out of town to Texas; hopefully it was just a giant thank you.
LET'S GO METS!